Wednesday, February 29, 2012

Graphics in gaming: How did something so minor become so important?

I'm the last person who should fall prey to the tantalizing nice crisp of graphics. I was raised playing Nintendo..Legend of Zelda, Mario, all that..But it seems ever since 2007, I've been so spoiled by graphics that I just can't enjoy a game with BAD graphics...A game like this would probably be like Dragon Age Origins. The very first 360 game I've played was Dead Rising, and Dead Rising had pretty good graphics..



I can honestly say now that I've been spoiled by good graphic game..But why? Why are graphics such a huge part of gaming now? Some people say its realism..What IS realism? It's a video game. And what's so realistic about games like Dead Space?



I won't even finish Dragon Age because of its graphics. I feel like I'm being ripped off. I wonder it myself..Why are graphics a huge part of gaming now?Graphics in gaming: How did something so minor become so important?
I started gaming at the end of the Atari 3600 days. I have passed on several games because the graphics were the only thing offered. Final Fantasy 10 and up, same concept/different graphics. MGS4 is another example. Same concept. Espionage. The graphics are most of the game. There are more cut scenes than any other game I have played. It is more like playing a movie than a game to me.

It is the game itself I want to play. Seems to me the problem today is graphics have replaced imagination. Imagination was one of the main enjoyments I had while playing a game. World of Warcraft is another example. I had to upgrade my graphics card to play Burning Crusade after I purchased my PC new in '06. I would need to upgrade my card again to play the current Cataclysm. I quit after 4 years. I think more player interaction like the Kinect, Move, and Wii are a good direction instead of dumping money into more eye candy.

Graphics are only provided by companies to sell games, imo. I will play any game with graphics like sneak %26amp; peak or montazuma's revenge if it has good game content. Good addition, but graphics mean little to me.
I'm the same, if a game has bad graphics I won't touch it (excluding minecraft) I believe that good graphic games just capture the game a whole lot more, maybe not make it more realistic but just make it more pretty :)



Anyway there isn't anything bad about liking good graphic games, technology is evolving everyday and so are our expectations!



Very good question though, this question is probably more based on personal opinion than anything else.Graphics in gaming: How did something so minor become so important?
Hmm, good question. I think graphics provide immersion into the game better. Yes, many people say Gameplay%26gt;Graphics but I think graphics still is a huge part of a game.



As for someone like you, I'm not sure. I only began gaming in 2004 when I was 13, but I can still enjoy games like the original 1998 Half-Life.
you answered your own question: somewhere along the way, we got spoiled. it happened to all of us.

think about it: whenever a new console came out, why were we excited? better graphics, which meant more detail in games. that being said, games could offer more immersion than previous titles.

on a separate note, There she is! is one of the best flash animations ever.Graphics in gaming: How did something so minor become so important?
the same with me! when i first got my 360 3 years ago i got hooked and still am! then one day i decided to play gta san andreas and the games graphics were so bad i didnt want to play it! but yet its way funner than gta 4
Gameplay%26gt;graphics. Graphics are nice but I can still play really old games on the Game cube with out a problem
Simply because it looks good.
True, most of it IS fantasy, but because it LOOKS more realistic its easier to get drawn into the story-world. You can imagine that if this fantasy were real, then this IS what it would look like in real life.
Its beautiful to look at.
And the controls tend to be much smoother and easier to manage.

Fortunately for me, i love how gorgeous the graphics have become, but i still adore all my old games.
I have more old PS2 games than Xbox360 or PS3 games combined.

PS. Your icon is from "There She Is!!!"
I love that!
I've really only seen it as eye candy, or a first impression for a game in a FEW cases. I honestly can't care too much about graphics myself though. As long as everything in a game looks as they are meant to I don't care.

I remember first seriously gaming when I was about 11 in 2005, and I am able to enjoy games like Goldeneye 64 or Crash Bandicoot, along with the Wii Version of Call of Duty: Black Ops (even though when compared to the 360, PS3 and PC versions it looks pretty bad.)
I've had a recent answer about what makes games "scary" and I think they are like what you are talking about now. The better graphics the system has, the better the atmosphere can seem potentially. A game with amazing graphics has the potential to have a much better atmosphere than an 8-bit game would, so it's conceived as a "better" game. However, some games derive their greatness from their lack of graphics, such as Sonic the Hedgehog. Notice that they've started backing off the 3d feel? Well, that's because the fans all agree that a sidescrolling Sonic is better than a 3d one. Sometimes, the graphics just ruin the game, but don't hate on them. They need their love, too!
Basically, I think it's just because games like Halo, Forza Motorsport, and CoD just look so damn GOOD in HD lol. They really do. Even somebody who hates all of the games I just mentioned can't deny that they are gorgeous games, graphically. Also, with the complexity of games on the rise, the graphics of a game such as CoD actually do play a major role in the gameplay. For instance, your ability to see a player clearly from across the map can affect the outcome of the game. The framerate is also a major issue in games nowadays. Honestly, I think the gaming community has become jaded over the years with superb games like Halo and Forza, that small developer games like Shadowrun just don't stack up (although Shadowrun is a great game :P)
The answer lies in human subconsciousness. Back in days of nintendo, the graphics were limited because hardware was limited. Back then, games were new territory, and most people were amazed by it. It is like if you buy a house, you are amazed by it, and you slowly get used to it, but sooner or later, you will find that you need to rebuild some rooms, because you are not quite satisfied with them, because they are old fashioned or so on. Same applies to graphics in games, when you played old games where there were sprites and polygons didn't even existed, it was really great. But then, first 3d cards started popping out and again, it was something new. So you see, the cycle will repeat itself over and over again. So to sum it up for you, not matter what we have, on subconscious level we will always be wanting something more.

For your second question, why are graphics so huge part of gaming, there is rather simple answer too: appeal factor. Some companies really pump up the graphics to appeal to wider audiences and on most people it works. For example, you would never buy a car if it was four sided box. Instead you dream everyday about some nice curved Ferrari's or Porshe's. And same applies to games, most people judge them by first look and decide whether to buy it or not. That's the reason why trailers became huge part of the gaming industry these days, if you noticed. To sum it up again, the thing that spoils us is marketing and companies trying to sell their products at all costs.

No comments:

Post a Comment