Wednesday, March 7, 2012

Are there different types of RPG video games? Why is it that I love some but hate others?

I know this is probably a stupid question because I should know my opinion more than anyone else, but I still need some confirmation. Okay... I love these RPGs:

Tales of Symphonia (Gamecube)

Paper Mario: Thousand Year Door (Gamecube)

Mario and Luigi 1 %26amp; 2 (DS)

Mario RPG Legend of the 7 Stars (SNES) ....I love Mario games haha

Dragon Quest VIII (PS2)

Fable 2 (Xbox 360)



And I just can't seem to enjoy these RPG series:

Final Fantasy

Fire Emblem

Chrono Trigger

and I'm sure there are more that I can't think of...



I am only asking because I want to know if there's a huge difference between the games I like and the ones I don't. Is it the story? Graphics? Different gameplay/fighting? I mean Final Fantasy is so popular that I feel like I NEED to like it, but I just don't seem interested. Maybe I didn't play them enough?





ANOTHER QUESTION! This one's a quickie for anyone who loves to help :) If I enjoy a strategy game like Pikmin (Gamecube), would I like games like Age of Empires: Mythologies, Sid Meier's Civilization Revolution, and Advance Wars: Days of Ruin? (all 3 are for DS...they got good ratings, so that's why I want to know if they're good)Are there different types of RPG video games? Why is it that I love some but hate others?
Oh yes, there are at least three main classes of RPS: Japanese-style RPG, Western-style RPG, and Strategy RPG.



However, your tastes don't necessarily fall neatly into any of those. Fable is a prototypical example of a Western RPG, and is really the only one you mention in your list. Fire Emblem is the only Strategy RPG you list as well. All the rest are JRPGs (though Paper Mario has enough platforming-style action it's a stretch to call it an RPG at all anymore). I'd say you like more actiony JRPGs over all, but your selection of Dragon Quest 8 doesn't really fit with that at all. There's really nothing separating Dragon Quest from Final Fantasy except the comedy and, in recent Final Fantasies, the difficulty. With that being the case, you might find the SNES-era Final Fantasies more to your tastes.

No comments:

Post a Comment